visa options


There are many visa options and the right one for you will depend on what you are seeking to do while you are in Australia, and the intended duration of your stay. The most common Australian visas are:

Business Visas

The Business visa program is designed for individuals who want to establish, manage or develop their own business in Australia. From 1 July 2012, you can only apply for a Business Visa if you have been invited to do so by the Australian Government in response to an Expression of Interest you have lodged through SkillSelect.

Skilled Visas

Also known as the General Skilled Migration programme, this visa is for people who are not sponsored by an employer and who have skills in particular occupations required in Australia.

From 1 July 2012, all intending migrants interested in the points based skilled migration or business investment and innovation visa programs will be required to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) and receive an invitation in order to lodge a visa application.

You must have completed a  skills assessment and/or a job ready program and taken an English-language test to prove you meet the English language requirement.

Spouse and Family Visas

There are a number of migration options for fiancés, partners, children, parents and other family members of Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens. As a general rule, to settle permanently in Australia as a Family Migrant, you must be sponsored by an Australian citizen or resident who meets certain conditions.

A Spouse visa is available to individuals wanting to marry or join their eligible spouse, de-facto or interdependent (including same sex) partner in Australia.

A Parent visa allows parents of Australian citizens, permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens to stay with their child in Australia. Some visa classes within the Family Stream are subject to being capped and queued. These visas may have extensive waiting periods and this may affect your decision to apply for one of these visas.

Student visas

The Student visa program allows people to study at Australian schools, universities and vocational training centres. In all, there are 7 types of Australia student visa you can choose from depending on your circumstances.

Employer Sponsored Visas

This visa is for lawfully operating Australian and overseas employers to sponsor and employ skilled workers who have recognised qualifications and skills/or experience in particular occupations required in Australia.